Student exchange programs are the best ways to challenge your global perspective. Universities across the globe work with each other to build comprehensive exchange programs that meet the needs of each university, while broadening the horizons of its exchange students.
So what’s holding you back? Travel to a new country next semester. There are more good reasons to go than to stay. LocazU makes it easy for you to save money on your used textbooks so that you can save up for that plane ticket.
How you can benefit from a student exchange program
Still not convinced? Here are five reasons why you should study in a foreign country:
- Learn a new language. The vote is unanimous. The most effective way to learn a second language is to immerse yourself in its colloquial language. Speaking a second language in day-to-day life is much more challenging and rewarding than learning it out of a classroom.
- Expose yourself to different cultures. There’s nothing more transformative than experiencing a foreign culture first hand. When you discover the customs, philosophy, art, and cuisine of a new place you will grow as a person. So open yourself up to a new culture and expand your world-view. Life’s too short to live in a bubble.
- Make friends around the globe. Students who travel to a foreign country to study meet other students from all over the globe. It’s the chance to cultivate long-lasting, global friendships.
- Add value to your degree. When you study overseas you not only increase your personal growth, you also add value to your degree. Many university students fulfill their second language requirements and gain world literature credits when they study in a foreign country. Contact your language department to find out which exchange programs offer second language credits.
- Increase your employment opportunities. Potential employers admire the tenacity it takes for someone to leave their comfort zone and challenge themselves. That kind of strength can’t be learned in a classroom. Knowledge of a foreign culture or second language may open doors to exciting global employment opportunities. Also keep in mind that you may be given access to the career services and recruiting opportunities at both your home and exchange university.
Okay, if you’re not online booking your seat in a classroom in Venice, then visit your campus exchange center and the information you need.
Already got your exchange plans underway? Then go to locazU where you can buy and sell used university textbooks online. That’s a few more dollars in your trip jar.
By Ann Schwab